Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Keeping Up with Technology

Long, long time ago I use to be up with the times in regards to new technology.  As a matter of fact, I was one of the few people in my generation or circle that actually worked on the first computers.  My school training geared me in the direction of office and clerical work.  I was the fastest typist in my class and could write shorthand like a second language.  A "computerized" typewriter was state of the art when I graduated from high school.  They consisted of a single 4  inch  line screen.  Basically it cut back on typos and Wite-Out.

When I landed my first ever real job in the Department of Revenue Canada, I was placed in the Word Processing Department on computers so big they were a work station in themselves.  It was a rudimentary Word program in it's infancy.  I was thrilled by the development of the program and of computers themselves.  The computer generation had just exploded and I was excited to be a part of it.  Then when the internet came about, I knew the world would change forever.  It was at that time that I left my office job to raise my babies and while I did the technology wave advanced quickly and left me in the past.  I try to keep up but it really has become so advanced and over my head that I can no longer be concerned.  But with the growth of my flock and our poor flock management records, I knew I had to try and re-educate myself.

So I purchased Microsoft Office for Home that included Excel and somehow managed to create a file to record all the barn births.


I am able to upload them to the "cloud" (which I really have no idea what that is) but basically I can access the file not only from my main computer but from any device.  So Farm Girl can also access it from her ipad and help keep up with the records.


I think that is pretty sweet and will help keeping our records straight and organized more efficient.  However, I am still old school and have not forgotten what can happen when a computer or program crashes and looses everything, so will keep a handwritten notebook as backup.

No comments:

Post a Comment